The Steamer Huntington
Before the Long Island Railroad extended its rails to eastern Long Island, most freight for the island traveled by boat. One of these boats was the 125-foot steamer Huntington, built in 1888 and which ran regularly between Huntington and Pier 36 in New York City. It also made two trips a summer to Norwalk, CT and often chartered excursion parties for Huntington families.
Long Island Families Connected to the Steamer Huntington
One of the steamer's earlier captains was Capt. Ira Benjamin Young who was also a part owner. His son William Glover Young (pictured) took over as captain when he died. The Young family were pioneers in the village of Riverhead.
In 1911, James Galvin (1866-1911) employed on the steamer drowned when trying to get back to the boat that was moored some distance from the dock. He had left the boat to visit friends in Brooklyn.
A stationary engineer (operating engineer) on the steamer was Huntington resident William E. Munch (1850-1932) who lived on Elm St.
What happened to the steamer?
In 1913, the steamer was sold for $27,000 to The Geo. W. Bush & Sons Company of Wilmington, Delaware, due to 'lack of patronage' and likely the growth of the railroads and automobile travel. It was eventually used to carry freight down the Delaware River. It was sold again 5 years later to The Stony Creek Steamboat Company who renamed her Stony Creek, where she operated. In 1924, the steamer was taken over by Charles and Harry Efford who then renamed her Fairview. Their father, George W. Efford was the chief engineer of the Rock Creek Steamboat Company and owner of Fairview Beach.
The steamer Huntington was eventually disposed of in 1938.